Botox Cosmetic injections have been lauded for years as a safe and effective way to achieve a more youthful appearance without surgery.
While routine treatments are needed to maintain that look, many men and women in the early stages of the aging process find Botox to be a suitable alternative to facial rejuvenation surgeries, like a facelift. In some cases, however, Botox injections can’t achieve the results you want for a variety of reasons. How can you know which one is right for you?
What Is Botox?
First introduced over a decade ago, Botox is a sterile, purified protein derived from the bacteria Clostridium botulinum. When injected in small amounts to various treatment areas of the face, Botox can be used to minimize forehead creases, crow’s feet, nasolabial folds, neck bands, and more. Some doctors have also begun using Botox for treatment of excessive sweating and even migraine headaches.
Botox works by temporarily immobilizing the facial muscles of the treatment area. When the muscle doesn’t move, the skin creases begin to lie flat and the lines and wrinkles begin to diminish in appearance. There is no downtime or significant recovery involved in a Botox injection and most patients will see results that last three to six months.
Benefits of Botox
There are many reasons that Botox has become a top choice among men and women today. Botox can offer many benefits to the right patient, including:
- It is a nonsurgical treatment. Almost anyone who can’t or won’t have surgery can choose Botox to help with their aging concerns.
- It’s an effective treatment for specific aging concerns, delivering real results that are noticeable.
- It’s versatile, so Botox can be used to treat a wide range of different facial areas and address many different types of concerns.
- It has minimal side effects and low risks, especially when compared to anti-aging surgeries.
- It works temporarily, so if you aren’t happy with your results, they won’t last forever. If you want to try something without a long-term commitment, Botox could be your perfect solution.
- It is more affordable than surgery for most people, although regular treatments will cost more in the long run. Talk to your facial plastic surgeon about your own long-term strategy to get a clearer picture of your financial commitments.
Limitations of Botox
Botox Cosmetic treatments may be an ideal choice for some patients, but by no means are they designed to help everyone who wants to achieve a more youthful look. For some prospective patients, facelift surgery is a more appropriate way to address more significant concerns. Botox treatments cannot address excess inelastic skin, so problems with turkey wattle or jowls may remain. While Botox can smooth away lines and wrinkles, it cannot lift or tighten soft tissue like a facelift surgery. Some patients may see a similar effect from their treatments, but those with more advanced aging concerns may not see as a dramatic a result from Botox injections alone.
Speak with a board certified facial plastic surgeon for more information on the treatment plan that will best suit your unique concerns. He or she may advise you to start with Botox, consider a facelift, or combine these two options together for your most youthful and rejuvenated look.
Plan Your Procedure With a Facial Plastic Surgery Expert
To get the best recommendations and guidance on your own facial rejuvenation strategy, meet with an experienced board certified facial plastic surgeon familiar with both brow lift surgery and blepharoplasty. Visit Renu Aesthetics by Dr. Philip Schoenfeld to speak with founder and Medical Director Dr. Philip Schoenfeld. He takes a keen interest in facial plastic and reconstructive surgery and has practiced in Washington, D.C. since 1994. A proven track record for excellence and a personal dedication to excellence and aesthetics have earned him a significant reputation among his peers. He was voted one of America’s Top Doctors in 2013 by Castle Connolly. Contact Renu Aesthetics by Dr. Philip Schoenfeld, located at 5454 Wisconsin Ave., Suite 1625 in Chevy Chase, Maryland, by calling (301) 652-RENU (7368). Book your appointment with Dr. Schoenfeld today to discuss your personal options for surgery and treatment.