Many men and women are frustrated by the signs of aging on the face and neck. One of the most troubling signs is the depletion of fat cells in the face, thanks to both gravity and age. The process leaves the upper portion of the face thinner and without its natural volume, something that can dramatically add age to a person’s face. For years, facial plastic surgeons have been making strides to replace this lost volume in myriad ways, including synthetic implants and dermal fillers. One of the most effective ways, however, may be the simplest: a fat injection or fat transfer procedure.
What Are Fat Injections?
During a fat injection procedure, fat is collected from a donor area somewhere on the body and injected where it is needed. Fat injections can be performed on the chin, cheeks, lips, frown lines, crow’s feet, nasolabial folds, and certain types of scars. The procedure typically involves a local anesthetic to numb the area of the donor site and treatment site; sedation may also be used as needed. The treatment area will be overfilled during the procedure, because precedent shows that the body will absorb some of the deposited fat cells in the first few weeks following treatment. The end result of fat injections is added fullness and volume to the treatment area. Patients will also experience temporary smoothness and youthfulness.
Common donor areas used to harvest fat for these injections include the abdomen, thighs, and buttocks. The fat is collected with a syringe and, while there will be some minor discomfort, the procedure does not cause any damage or pain. Both the donor and treatment areas may experience some swelling, redness, and bruising of varying degrees, but this should only last up to two days. Following the procedure, most patients can expect to see the results of their fat injections for up to six months, although these times may vary for each patient.
Advantages of Choosing Fat Injections
There are several factors that make fat injections a smart choice to add volume to your own face. While many other options are currently available, consider these facts about fat injections when making your decision:
- Fat injections are 100-percent natural, since they originate in your own body. They are completely hypoallergenic and carry no risk of rejection or reaction.
- Fat injections can be used to address many concerns including sagging skin, fine lines and wrinkles, scars, lost volume, and more.
- Fat injections are both safe and substantial enough to treat any part of the face, including the cheeks, lips, chin, eye area, forehead, brow, earlobes, jawline, and neck.
- Once in place, injected fat will expand to add the most natural-looking volume possible, because it is natural.
- Fat cells contain stem cells and other stimulatory growth agents that will boost collagen production and skin thickness in the treatment area.
- Fat injections are performed with minimal recovery time and discomfort.
- Fat injections achieve long-lasting results.
- Fat injections are an easy add-on to other surgical procedures, like facelift surgery.
Am I a Candidate for Fat Injections?
A good potential candidate for fat injection treatments is a man or woman in good overall health. You should have realistic expectations for the fat injection process and what the procedure can and cannot achieve for you. Most importantly, you should have a desire to improve the appearance of your skin or add volume to a specific area of the face, such as the lips. If you’re a good match for fat injections, your plastic surgeon will schedule your treatment and make a plan for your customized approach.
Learn More About Fat Transfers
To learn more about fat transfers and whether they’re right for you, consult with the right surgeon. Visit Renu Med Spa and Plastic Surgeryto speak with founder and Medical Director Dr. Philip Schoenfeld, a board certified facial plastic surgeon with experience in fat transfers and other enhancement techniques. He takes a keen interest in facial plastic and reconstructive surgery, having practiced in Washington, D.C., since 1994. A dedication to excellence and aesthetics has earned him a significant reputation among his peers. He was voted one of America’s Top Doctors in 2013 by Castle Connolly. Contact the Renu Med Spa and Plastic Surgery, located at 5454 Wisconsin Ave., Suite 1625 in Chevy Chase, MD, by calling (301) 652- 7368 (RENU).